Lazy Boy recliners are an essential piece of furniture in every modern residence. They perfectly complement your home interior and offer the relaxation you want and deserve. But like so many other things, your Lazy Boy chair might acquire flaws. What should you do in that case? Does it mean you have to get rid of your old chair and replace it with a new one? No, not really. There are a few things you can do to save your chair.
Common Lazy Boy recliner problems and their solutions
Let’s have a look at the most common issues with the beloved chairs and how to deal with them.
How to Fix a Lazy Boy Recliner Footrest
One of the most typical concerns is a broken footrest. As you keep using it month after month and year after year, you might notice it gets loose. While the issue might be upsetting, don’t rush to spend money on a replacement. In fact, this issue is pretty simple to fix. Some things you might need for this are screwdrivers (manual and power) and wood screws.
The footrest doesn’t move
If you pull the handle but the footrest won’t budge, there’s a simple solution. This might mean that some mechanical parts inside the chair got stiff. Turn the recliner upside down and make sure that the footrest is unfolded. You’ll find its base where it joins the frame near the pull handle.
Take some WD-40 oil and spray it all over the mechanism paying special attention to all joints. If you lubricate it properly, chances are it will start moving easily again.
Continue reading: 5 Best Recliners To Buy In 2022 For Your House.
Recliner footrest won’t stay down or up
If the pull handle works as normal but your footrest doesn’t remain in a fixed position, springs might be the reason why. Again, turn the chair over to get access to the mechanism.
Trace the exterior of the chair until you come to a set of linked springs. When the footrest unfolds, they are what keeps it in a locked position. They might have been dislodged and dropped off so your task here is to return them to their places. This shouldn’t be hard; simply reattach the end of the spring to the footrest.
You will need to replace the spring in case it’s broken or hard to move. Order some new springs in a local or online hardware store and then unclip and replace the old ones. This should solve the issue and keep the footrest locked in whatever position you choose.
How to fix power recliner footrest
But what if you deal with a power recliner problem? Here are detailed recommendations on what you can do:
1. Turn your chair upside down to get access to the bolts and screws that hold the footrest in place.
2. Make sure that all the screws are in place and sit tight. Tighten the screws and bolts if necessary. In case you have a hard time doing that, check the screws and the holes they are in. Replace any worn-out details if you have to.
3. While you’re at it, be sure to check that your new screws are the same length as the old ones. Longer screws might go right through the footrest as you tighten them up. Shorter ones won’t hold on to the structure securely and might get loose again.
4. As you secure the footrest, see that every part fits just right. If you have to force the screws in, it might be the main sign you’re doing something wrong. Go over your previous actions and make sure you didn’t make a mistake.
This should take care of most problems. If your power recliner footrest still doesn’t work right, it might mean more complex issues. But if buying a new recliner will make a significant dent in your budget, here are a few additional steps you might want to consider:
1. When your chair is upside down, look at the sides. You will notice a large square bar to all the other parts are attached. This might be the very thing that gives you grief.
2. Note the springs and a pin in the middle of the bar responsible for making the chair move up and down.
3. Clean the springs and the pin and use a lubricant of your choice to apply it to the parts.
4. This should help you get rid of the problem with your footrest. However, if the pin won’t move at all, it might mean you’ll have to shop for some spare parts.
Also, check this out: best recliners for the tall man in 2022 to buy.
Lazy Boy headrests are frequently incorporated into the design. This means that if they break, you’ll see quite an obvious crack. This makes fixing fairly easy. Just remove the snapped headrest and replace it with a new one.
In case your issue is worn-out upholstery and cushions, you’ll need something to cut the fabric with. Cut it to reveal the cushion, remove the old cushion/stuffing and replace them with new ones. The good thing about this is that you can buy the replacements you personally like and this way customizes the way your recliner feels.
Sew the cut together again. By the way, be sure to make a cut at the seam on the top, bottom, or at the side of the headrest. This way odds are the cut won’t be visible.
How to fix recliner pull handle
A broken pull handle might prevent you from using your chair properly. The pull handle controls the footrest and keeps it in place. If it doesn’t work properly or is missing, the footrest will either always be closed or unfolded which is extremely uncomfortable. The good news is that you can take care of the issue yourself, without having to get any professional assistance. You might, however, need to buy a new handle. Getting someone to help you might make things easier as well.
1. In case your footrest is in an unfolded position, apply some force to make it fold, then flip the chair over.
2. Find the parts that control the handle and use a screwdriver and/or an adjustable wrench to remove them and detach the handle.
3. Put the new handle in place and tighten up all the screws.
Read more: Best Power Recliners with Heat and Massage 2022 for Your House.
Recliner doesn’t recline
Power recliners have quite a few parts, big and small. When they move, some wires can get caught up in the mechanism and tear or get loose. In this case, you’ll have to thoroughly check the wiring and replace or reconnect them.
Turn your chair the bottom side up. In case the bottom part of it is closed off with the fabric, you’ll have to unscrew all the bolts that keep it in place to get access to the insides.
Remove the fabric and check the frame carefully. Look for damaged and loosened wires. Reconnect any that can be reconnected. If there are any wires that need to be replaced, do just that. Put the recliner in a normal position. If you did everything right and didn’t miss anything, it should work without any problems.
How to fix recliner chair springs
Lay-Z-Boy chairs often come with springs. Hey make sure your lazy boy feels bouncy and that it can move and lock in various positions. These springs will eventually break, just like any other thing under heavy wear. Keep in mind that to fix the springs you might need some assistance.
Here’s what you have to do:
1. Flip the chair over and look for the bolts that keep springs fixed.
2. Unscrew the bolts using an adjustable wrench.
3. Remove the spring and put it aside.
4. Remove the bolts that secure the footrest to the spring and attach the new spring to the footrest.
5. Fix the new spring in place.
6. Return your chair to its normal position and test it to make sure the issue is fixed.
Also, check out: 5 Best TV Recliners to Watching TV in 2022 (Reviewed).
This is not a full list of the problems you face when it comes to lazy boy recliners. However, it includes the most common issues. They are easy and inexpensive to repair and you don’t have to buy costly replacements.
Whenever the issue looks too big to fix by yourself, remember about the Lay-Z-Boy warranty. Before you break the bank getting your chair fixed, make sure that your warranty covers the costs.