You possibly bought a recliner some time ago, and now your recliner has started to get dirty because the kids often jump and play on it and end up spilling food. To protect your recliner fabric from getting dirty quickly and avoid getting stains on it, you must buy a cover for your recliner. But how do you measure the recliner, so the covers you buy or get customized fits it correctly? If the cover you buy for your recliner does not fit it properly, it will come off every time you sit on it, eventually killing the purpose of the cover. You have come to the right place if you are looking to understand how you should measure your recliner for a cover that fits it. Let us guide you through all the necessary steps you need to take to ensure accuracy while measuring your recliner.
Steps to measure your recliner for a cover
Follow the guidelines below carefully to ensure accurate measurement of your recliner.
Put your recliner in the upright position ensuring the backseat is straight and the recliner is closed. Now measure your recliner from the top. To determine the maximum height of your recliner, measure it from the top edge to the bottom edge of the back seat. Keep noting down the measurements in your phone or on a piece of paper. Note the measurement in both inches and centimeters since covers have measurements written in either unit.
In this next step, measure the width of your recliner from the front side. Measure from the outside edge of one arm to the outside edge of the other arm. This measurement is the width of your recliner.
Now you need to fully recline your recliner and measure the length of the chair in this position. Start from the top edge of the recliner to the footrest’s back edge. This measurement is recommended if you are going for a customized cover but not necessary for store-bought covers. If your recliner has an attached footrest, then this is a necessary measurement.
Some general tips:
- Elastic covers have more room in them and a tighter fit.
- If you cannot buy or customize a slipover with the exact measurements, go for larger ones than your recliner.
- If you have armrest covers placed on the recliner, please remove them before putting on the recliner cover as it may cause bunching.
Choosing The Right Cover For Your Recliner
Consider these factors when choosing a cover for your recliner, and you’re sure to find the perfect one for your needs:
- Material. You want a material that’s durable and will hold up to wear and tear. There are many different materials available, so choose one that suits your needs.
If you have pets, you’ll want to choose a material resistant to pet hair and stains. If you have children, you’ll want a material that is easy to clean.
- Size. Make sure to measure your recliner before you purchase a cover. You’ll need to know the width, depth, and height of the chair to find a cover that fits.
- Color. When it comes to color, you have a lot of options. You can choose a cover that matches your décor or goes with a completely different look. Consider the overall theme of your home when choosing a color for your recliner cover.
- Price. Recliner covers can range in price from a few dollars to hundreds. It all depends on the cover’s material, size, and style. Set a budget before you start shopping so you don’t overspend.
- Additional Features: Some recliner covers come with additional features such as pockets or straps. These features can be helpful if you want to keep your remote control or other items close by.
Tips for Maintaining Your Recliner Cover
When you buy a recliner cover, it’s important to take care of it so that it’ll last for years. Here are some tips for maintaining your recliner cover:
- Vacuum your recliner cover regularly to remove dust and dirt.
- If your recliner cover is starting to look worn, try spot cleaning it with a mild detergent.
- If your recliner cover is very dirty, you can machine wash it on a gentle cycle. Even better, let the professionals handle it!
- When storing your recliner cover, fold it neatly, so it doesn’t develop wrinkles.
- Don’t forget to fluff up your recliner cover periodically to retain its shape.
Measuring your recliner for a cover is an easy task that you can achieve in little to no time. If you cannot provide exact measurements for a customized cover, you can buy one that perfectly fits your recliner or a slightly larger one. Covers smaller than your recliner may tear when you try to put them on. Elastic covers are considered best when it comes to providing room for the cushions and the armrests compared to covers with ties. You can match the color of your cover to the color of your recliner so it looks neater. Best of luck!